Sunday 9 June 2013

Williams Brothers(Heather Ales) - Ebulum

I've had this one for a few weeks now and thought it was time for tasting after reading Denmarks biggest tabloid newspaper, Ekstra Bladet, which had a beer review article on Scottish beers. This one got 6 out of 6, Behaven St.Andrews Ale got 5, Innis &Gunn Spiced Rum Finish 4/6 and Brewdogs Dead Pony Club 3/6

Well until I taste Ebulum I cannot comment though I would disagree with his Brewdog which I think is under-rated and the St.Andrews Ale rating as I thought that was pretty average. Remember what I wrote about one man's nectar ?...

I have a longer blog about my thoughts on Belhaven and a couple of their stouts coming up so I'll say no more on them. I can't work out his choice of available Scottish beers though as to me it seems very random, perhaps that is the meaning ?

On to Ebulum which is an elderberry Black Ale.

Wafts of black berries and what smells to me like pumpernickel bread coming off this when pouring.

Ebulum pours black with a small creamy tan head.  Ripe black and blue berries, black cherries, prunes and roasted smokey malt on the sweet intake while mild floral hops appear in the finish. Coffee and dark chocolate linger in the long aftertaste. A bit of a thin mouthfeel but not at all watery and no alcohol shining through.

Time for a Scottish expression..This is a pure belter of a beer ! Meaning for non-scots it is excellent. There is that much going on I'd love a second bottle. My only gripe with this brew is in the murky waters of if it is an ale or a stout ? I'd have no problem if this was called an elderberry stout instead of black ale. Either way, I really enjoyed it.

This scored 8.5/10 on my 'the tabloid guy might be right this time' Beerometer.

Alc : 6.5%
Where to buy CPH : Fish & Beer had it in their Historic Ales of Scotland gift packs.


1 comment:

  1. You ought to try the original style Ebulum from a 17th Century recipe that my wife makes...
    no hops... just elderberries and malt extract... plus water and yeast.
    Tastes like a sour brown Belgian style beer...
    pours out totally flat...
    and explodes like "Spacedust" in the mouth...
    a sipping brew...
    the first mouthful I had went "right oop me nose"!!
    After the initial sourness, it is all fruity, berry, winey flavours...
    it is around 8.5%ABV [going on the initial reading and the fact it brews right out]...

    We tried the two Ebulums against each other...
    unfortunately starting with the homebrew...
    which made the Heather Ale offering taste oversweet and thin...
    which we knew it wasn't from previous tastings.

    ReplyDelete