Friday 12 July 2013

Maisel & Friends - Stefan's Indian Ale

After a long stressing week at work what is better than kicking the weekend off with a big bottle of beer ? In this case and after looking through all my past notes this is my first German IPA.

I am no stranger to Maisels Weisse which this brewery is famous for and Maisel & Friends  is not a new one for me as I have tried Jeffs Bavarian Ale before in a 10cl sample glass, not enough for me to form a true impression so I won't comment further apart from I noted ' must try full bottle sometime '. The chocolate bock is also something I hope to get my mitts on in the near future. Anyway, on to the beer in question.....

As you would expect with Maisel this is brewed with wheat which I forgot on the initial pour and ended up with a 8 fingered head which in the time it took to settle I managed to paint our whole apartment, twice... So, if you do try this one, pour it gently. I could have of course looked closer at the label as it has a bloody graphic of wheat on it behind the printed alcohol %, doh !

Not huge aromas when opening this but on the pour faint distinctive wafts of yeast, citrus, apricot, chewy banana sweets ! and hops.

Stefan's Indian Ale pours hazy orange with a frothy white head. Moderately sweet and fruity on the intake with malt, orange peel, pine and peach. The finish is dry and mildly bitter. Quite a short and sweet fruity aftertaste with honey, pine and apricot. Brewed with wheat and having low carbonation the mouthfeel is light, smooth and creamy. Although you can feel the alcohol it does not shine through.

As much as I enjoy all the American ales I have blogged about recently this one makes a nice refreshing change from the little hop bombs. I was really getting into this one by the end of the 75cl bottle as it warmed and the honey background became more apparent in the aftertaste. I have no problem with buying or drinking this again, preferably sharing a bottle although I did enjoy all the temperature and flavour changes that you have with the bigger bottle.

This scored a respectable 7.5/10 on the ' Honey, I've only drunk one beer but here is my car keys' Beerometer.

Alc : 7.3%
Where to buy CPH : Høkeren, Ravnsborggade 13, Kbh N


No comments:

Post a Comment