Monday 8 July 2013

Greene King - Wexford Irish Creme Ale

You get quite a lot Greene King beers or should I say Greene King owned, Belhaven for one, in the supermarket aisles here nowadays. I used to buy the Abbot Ale pre-craft danish beer revolution quite a lot as it was a refreshing change from the norm, not that the beer itself is any great shakes. This widget canned Wexford that is nowhere to be seen on their website popped up here a couple of years ago and I've been meaning to try it but passed every time until now....

No real aroma worth mentioning due to the nitro pour and head apart from a bit of wet carboard.

Wexford pours clear copper with an thick off-white nitro head. Toffee, malt and faint hops on the sweet intake while the finish is moderately bitter and dry. It has a slight hoppy aftertaste with a burnt caramel in the background. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel as you would expect from a nitro widget can.

This was better than I expected though it is still a very average easy drinking ale. There is not a huge lot going on with this and by the bottom of the glass the word 'bland' popped up in my head. As you might guess, this is not one I will be buying or drinking again. If I wanted something similar like this I think I would rather go for a Kilkenny which is more widely available here in pubs and supermarkets.


This scored a generous 3/10 on the 'at least it's not Caffreys' Beerometer.

Alc : 5%
Where to buy CPH : Larger Superbrugsen & Kvickly supermarkets.





No comments:

Post a Comment