Wednesday 3 July 2013

Klosterbrauerei Andechs - Andechser Weissbier Hell

Also known as Weissbier Hefetrüb in some markets. Not my first encounter with Andechs having sampled nearly all their range before while down in Germany...

Someone asked me about how do I judge a hefeweizen if it is a good one or not ? Also, when truth be told they can become a bit samey with the same basic flavours....

Well, this might be bullshit to some but I look down the glass when it is up to the mouth with a pretty full glass, if there is a tiny thin water ring on the edge of the beer then it is normally a cheaply made weiss, that applies to other beer styles as well. You will get this with most weissbiers at the end of the glass, even this one so judge it at least half-full.  It should be full bodied and the flavours should combine together with nothing over dominant.  It should not be watery or harsh in the mouthfeel.. If it is there is not enough wheat in it, which again means cheaply made.

That is my simple own take on it and works for me in most cases though the saying 'opinions are like arseholes....' springs to mind.

Wafts of banana, cloves, yeast and a light citrus on the pour.

Weissbier Hell pours hazy orange with a fluffy white head. Wheat, yeast, citrus, spice and a mild banana on the moderately sweet intake with faint floral hops in the fruity finish. Yeast, cloves and lemon linger in the aftertaste. Silky smooth mouthfeel due to the low carbonation.

This is one of the top class hefeweizens in my book. There is nothing to make you look into space as if it is the second coming of the stone roses but it does the job. Refreshing and easy to drink. I've no problem with buying or drinking another. I also have no gripes that I can think of...what the helles ?

This scored 9/10 on the 'weizen, wheat, hvede, wit ? ' Beerometer.

Alc : 5.5%
Where to buy CPH : Høkeren, Ravnsborggade 13, Kbh N..Also seen in other bottle shops at different times.




No comments:

Post a Comment