Friday 5 July 2013

Everards - Original

I have no idea how this ale is perceived in its home UK market but here in Denmark it is in the discount range of coop owned supermarkets and always on offer for as low as 5 DKR a can along with oranjeboom, haacht primus, marstons oyster stout !(an absolute steal) and three from Kaiserdom. Some of which will come in later posts, probably when I'm broke and have declared myself bankrupt... So, pure speculation and guessing, I reckon this is the biggest selling English ale in Denmark.

For the price alone I have set my expectations low, very low since I noticed it says 'premium' on the can which alerts my spidey senses.....


Light waft of caramel, fruit and hops on the pour.

Everards Original pours clear coppery amber with an off-white head. Sweet on the intake with malt, caramel and muted floral hops. The finish is metallic and mildly bitter. This has what I can only describe as a metallic toffee in the aftertaste which is not as unpleasant as it sounds. Light mouthfeel which is a bit watery.

I'm left surprised by this. It is not bad as feared and I've certainly had a lot worse. The ingredients list hop extract, I'm left wondering if that is what the metallic like taste is ? Answers on a postcard please !
It is not one I'd run down to the supermarket after yet I've no problem buying or drinking this again...It is average, but what do you expect at the price ? Well I could mention Marstons Oyster Stout but that is for a later date.

This scores 3.5/10 on the ' I seen a 40ish year old hipster with a brown leather old school satchel earlier today and I'm still laughing to myself' Beerometer.


Alc : 4.7%
Where to buy CPH : All larger coop owned supermarkets.






No comments:

Post a Comment