Wednesday 4 September 2013

Flensburger x 2 - Pilsener & Gold

I've got a huge thing going on again gathering flip-top bottles, well any bottles for yet another homebrew which I have put over the past weekend and another two which I have planned for midway and end of the month. I have thought about buying new empty bottles but come on, when I buy beer bottles I want them to be full first !...I bottled the last batch just over a week ago, it is my christmas stout. Kegging would be a lot less time consuming....




I have tried these two once before along with quite a few from Flensburger though I did not make any pre-blog notes on them. I do like their Dunkel which I have drunk recently so let's see how they are...

Pilsener


Light waft of malt, hay, herbs and hops from the pour.

Pilsner pours a clear pale gold with a frothy white head. Herby/spice and grassy intake with malt while the finish is dry, bitter and hoppy. Nothing much going on in the light aftertaste apart from some malt, hops and grass. Quite softly carbonated for a pilsener, the mouthfeel is light and not too watery.

Clean and crisp, it is a pretty good example of a standard northern german pilsener. Pretty refreshing, I'd have no problem drinking this to quench the thirst on a hot summers day. I must be in a good mood as I can't think of any gripes apart from why do they use hop extract ? Summing up, decent standard and a good bit tastier than your usual macro eurosplosh.

This scored 5.5/10 on the '+1 for the swingtop' Beerometer.

Alc : 4.8%
Where to buy CPH : Føtex and Bilka.




Gold


Light aroma of malt, yeast and hops from the pour.

Gold pours clear golden (once the chill haze had cleared, oops) with a creamy white head. Sweet malty intake with some grass and dulled hops while the finish is dry and very very mildly bitter. This has a short aftertaste of malt and dull hops. The mouthfeel is thin and watery.

While more malty than the pilsener I wonder if they forgot to put anything else in or the hop extract injector was blocked as there is not a whole lot going on with this. I won't say duffer as I like the malty taste but there is practically no other flavours reaching the palate....yes I did allow it to warm up a bit after being over-chilled. Summing up, I should have bought 2 pilseners, avoid.

This scored a lowly 2.5 on the '+1 for the swingtop...you can subtract it yourself' Beerometer.

Alc : 4.8%
Where to buy/avoid CPH : Føtex and Bilka.





No comments:

Post a Comment