Friday 20 September 2013

Brewdog - Jack Hammer IPA

Another brewdog ? Hell yes, if it says IPA and Brewdog on the bottle then there is a good chance it will be pretty decent so I might as well play it safe kicking off the weekend ?...

The devastatingly bitter finish will drill straight through your taste buds. If you like hops and bitterness then go ahead. But be warned: this beer has more bitterness than a human palate (or nipple) can detect. For freaks, craft beer junkies and stamp collectors only. The second placed beer in our 2012 Prototype Challenge is a BrewDog staff favourite, and made a brief guest appearance in our bars last summer.

Ok then, if you say so....

Aroma of malt from the pour with tangerines, pine, grapefruit and citrusy hops.

Jack Hammer pours clear amber gold with a creamy white head. Sweet intake with malt, citrus, peach, caramel and pine ending with a dry and very bitter hoppy finish. Grapefruit, citrus and light malt linger in the long aftertaste. Light and slighly watery mouthfeel. No alcohol shining through.

Well here is a beer to wake you up from an afternoon slumber. I did not mention carbonation above because to be honest with all the rough bitterness attacking the roof of my mouth I could not tell. I don't think I could drink two of these in a row as I'd end up with heartburn/indigestion. No problem drinking this again though ! My only personal gripe with this...I think they went a bit too mad with the bittering hops and forgot about the taste. Summing up, if you want to wake your tastebuds up then go and try this one.

This score 7.5/10 on the 'wonders what the IBU was' Beerometer.

Alc : 7.4%
Where to buy CPH : Kihoskh and Ølbutikken both have it in stock at time of writing.


No comments:

Post a Comment