Wednesday 18 September 2013

Caledonian - Newcastle Werewolf

I noticed this on the supermarket beer shelf last week on offer, all the good reason to pick one up and give it a try, right ? It has 'escaped from britain' on the bottle so I'm wondering if they should have built a bigger fence to save the continent from it. Just a side note, this has been exported to the US and then imported to Denmark, I was wondering why it was in a 355ml bottle, that extra journey makes no sense to me whatsoever.....

Light waft of malt, caramel and berries from the pour.

Werewolf pours clear amber red with a quick diminishing off-white head. Very grainy on the sweet intake with malt, caramel, nuts and berries which ends with a smokey and bitter finish. Roasted malt and caramel linger in the mildly bitter aftertaste. Over-carbonated(imo), the mouthfeel is rough and watery.

I quite like the smokey finish to this one but it left me undecided if I like it or not, though it tastes a lot better than I thought it would. I'd have no problem drinking another if offered but certainly not one I'd rush out to buy again. My biggest gripe, far too much carbonation for my liking. Summing up, should have built that fence bigger.

This scored 5/10 on the 'neither here nor there' Beerometer

Alc : 4.5%
Where to buy CPH : Føtex.




No comments:

Post a Comment