Friday 11 March 2016

Founders - Centennial IPA

Rather than the blog name suggests this is going to turn into more like beer I am drinking or brewing just now CPH. Nowadays, instead of looking out for and paying a fortune for a new hard to get beer I tend to pick and choose what I buy. It kind of goes hand in hand on what I am trying to achieve on a coming beer that I have in mind to brew up.

This one comes up as I have over a half a kilo of Centennial hops in my fridge and any other Founders beer I have tried has been spot on, be it their breakfast stout, porter, pale ale, curmudgeon or all day ipa, which I plan to touch on again at a later date. It was either this or a rare around here Bells two hearted for a heavily laden centennial brew. Enie minie miny moe...I plumped for this and saving the Bells for a later date....

Pours a hazy orange while a dank earthy mild citrus sweetness greets my nose with some zest and caramel hidden in the background.

The same earthy dankness in the mouth with light citrus, pine and florals. Finish and aftertaste are sweet and bitter, especially the bitterness in the aftertaste lingers on. Not mouth puckering bitterness but you can feel it is there.

I really hate when people say 'well balanced' as the term has been taken over by utter knobheads but it applies to this, sweet malts perfectly balanced by the bitterness. This has become a staple in my fridge as it is widely available as is the afore mentioned all day and pale ale. If I had not tasted this before I would give it a generous 9/10 on the IPA meter.







Alc : 7.2%
Where to buy CPH : Føtex
Web : Founders

So I had a good look around the internets for this clone recipe. I think it was on homebrewtalk so credit goes there. I am brewing this at easter though confusion seems to reign on if this is all centennial or there is also cascade in it, I'll go all centennial.

Based on 73% efficiency.

Batch size : 23 l
Target OG : 1.069
IBU : 65
EBC : 26

5.4 kg pale malt
0.75 kg carapils
0.37 kg munich 1
0.37 kg crystal 80L
0. 37 kg caramunich 1

centennial 37g 60 min
centennial 28g 15 min
centennial 28g 10 min
centennial 56g   5 min...might change this to flame out.
centennial 80g dry hop

Yeast 2 x S-04

It will be fun to do a comparison at a later date.



2 comments:

  1. It looks like you found it in a can. Have you compared it to a bottle? I'm always wary of buying hoppy beers from the US here in CPH. You never know the conditions of the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I have noticed anything different from the bottles I've had before here. True about the journey and how they are being stored, how long they are sitting on the shelves and whatever temperatures they have been sitting at is anyones guess...but you can say that about any import.

      Let's face it, we pay our money and take our chances on any non native beer. Thanks for the comment, appreciated ! :)

      Delete