Wednesday 2 October 2013

Paulaner - Oktoberfest

After mondays Danish light interpretation I picked this one up in netto just for a taste again of one originals, although I prefer Ayinger or Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest Märzen(also brewed by Paulaner) if I can find them, as the picks of the bunch. I might as well get on with it....

Nothing much coming off this apart from some grainy sweet malt.

Oktoberfest pours clear light gold with a frothy white head. Medium sweet malty intake with faint honey, herbs, caramel and hops while the finish is malty and bitter. Sweet malt and herbs linger in the short aftertaste. Quite lowly carbonated, the mouthfeel is smooth and slightly creamy.

All the elements are there..malty sweetness, herbs, nice hoppy bitter finish but I am left feeling it is all a bit ordinary, like a standard euro-lager in a deluxe version..although it is still a lot better than the danish light oktoberfest I blogged on monday. That might seem critical, well it is, but I have no problem sinking a few more of these at the weekend (i bought 6 :) ). I have kind of gone off lager/pils recently so perhaps that is affecting my judgement and the crap I am writing. Summing up, decent enough oktoberfest, if you can pick others up instead then do so, even Hofbrau.

This scored 6/10 on the 'did you really just write Hofbrau is better ?' beerometer.

Alc : 6.0%
Where to buy CPH : bought in Netto.


No comments:

Post a Comment