Friday 30 August 2013

Dogfish Head - 90 minute Imperial IPA

Well well well, after blogging the 60 minute IPA yesterday I thought it was only fair and proper to write uhmmm give this one another try instead of just saying it was excellent according to my pre-blog notes. That would be cheating and as there is a good few from this breweries range available locally for probably only a limited time I just had to buy a few. That's the excuse I gave the wife anyway...Time to  stop the waffling bullshit and get on with it, eh ?...

Quite subdued aroma coming from the pour of sweet malt, hops, grass and alcohol.

This beer pours clear amber copper with a creamy off-white head. Medium sweet malt on the intake with caramel, citrus, spices, hops and warming alcohol while the finish is dry, bitter and hoppy. This leaves a dryness in the mouth while the bitter hop aftertaste has grapefruit and citrus lingering. Softly carbonated the mouthfeel is smooth and creamy.

Normally I would mention the alcohol above if it shines through or not at this level of ABV but I will go into here. It is very 50-50 in my view, while you certainly can feel the warmth of it and you can taste it through the brew it does not overtake any of the other flavours until it gets to about room temperature so drink it quickish ! which I must have done first time around not to notice it. :) Like the 60 minute yesterday I really like the malty base to this as it creates in this hop heavy beer a good balance to counteract the bitterness. I reckon this is the perfect beer for when you are sitting outside on an Autumn night when it starts to get chilly. No need to be a wimp, just keep it t-shirt only and be cool whilst supping a few..until you need to stand up and stagger to the toilet. Sorry, way off track...No problem here buying and drinking another, just not two or more in a row. Summing up, excellent IPA worth looking out for to try even if only the once.

This scored a generous 9/10 on the ' is it hot in here or is it just me ?' Beerometer

Alc : 9%
Where to buy CPH : Kihoskh, Sønder Boulevard 53, Kbh V




No comments:

Post a Comment