Monday 7 March 2016

Camba Bavaria - German IPA



German craft beer ? Very much alive and underrated so far, though some breweries have a good recognition like BrauKunstKeller to name one. I came across Camba in my local supermarket one day and have tried a few that were available. At the time I was looking for something different away from hop forward American style and this one stuck, along with one other that I will post on later. The Black Shark 'imperial black IPA' which I have also tried got an immediate thumbs down even though it tasted ok. I refuse to recognise that category...total nonsense as touched on in my last post.

Anyway, on with my thoughts on this one. Afterwards my stab at a clone recipe which I will be brewing up at the weekend.

Mandarin, lemon and citrus zest, sweet malt, wet earth and black pepper wafting up from the pour.

Hazy orange colour and sweet on the intake with dominant mandarin, a light biscuit and earthy light spiced background while finishing semi dry. Smooth medium bitterness for an IPA. A short aftertaste is left with, for the brits reading....you know when sucking on a locket throat lozenge and you bite through to the honey center, well that's it ! A light lemon honey with a slight touch of menthol for those that have not had the pleasure.

This has a light body and mouthfeel with a medium carbonation. Overall, I like it as it makes a pleasent change. While not a mind blower I will give this a 7/10 on the beerometer.



Alc: 6.5%
Where to buy CPH : Superbrugsen
Web : Camba



I am attempting something similar to this at the weekend and their website gives lots of good detail of what they use, so this is what I have come up with for version one. I am unsure if this is dry hopped or there is a whole heap at flame out as the aroma on the bottles I have tried are not in your face with a fresh bottle. Into the deep end, I am going with what I have in stock....

Based on 73% efficiency.
23l
IBU : 49
EBC : 22
Target OG : 1.064
Mash Temp : 66 c

5.35 kg Pale Malt
0.5 kg Munich 1
0.4 kg Crystal 150 ebc
0.2 Biscuit

43g Northern Brewer - 60 min
40g Tradition - !5 min
30g Saphir -10 min
30g Saphir - Flameout
40g Saphir - Dry Hop

Yeast....I dunno yet.

I'll do a comparison when it's ready. Thanks if you made it this far. Peace, I'm outta here.







No comments:

Post a Comment