Sunday 16 June 2013

Fuglsang - Early Bird

It was brewers day yesterday here and some of the local breweries were having an open house. I went along to one, talked to a few people and it got me thinking...

I like value for money, who does not ? While I do not mind paying top prices for good beer, the emphasis on good, I do mind paying a lot of money for a craft beer and finding out it is mediocre at best. I think there is a misconception among people in some circles that craft automatically equals good and they have lost sight of the simple fact that if a beer is crap then it is crap, no matter if it was passed through the dna cloned intestines of a stuffed mammoth before maturing in the digestive system of a sloth or came out a huge industrial tank.

To me, a lot of what I used to laugh about regarding wine snobbishness has crept into beer circles, meaning beer geeks can bore the pants off me just as quick. If I ever hear someone utter the two worded phrase 'one dimensional' or worse, two more words added so it becomes 'one dimensional and boring' I honestly have to walk away with a smile on my face muttering 'plonker' or a word to that effect. I'd be up for GBH too ofter otherwise.

My point ? You can get decent and good beer no matter where it comes from, be it a huge industrial brewer or a sloths digestive system,  cheap or expensive, you just have to find it first.

On to about the beer eh ?

Fuglsang have a small place in my heart as having made the worst Danish christmas beer I've ever tasted, Ding Dong being so bad I did not dare to put it down my kitchen sink for fear of it melting through the pvc pipes underneath, nope straight down the toilet with it while flushing and probably killed a few thousand sewer rats in the process. It's that bad Carlsberg Special Brew is a tasty brew in comparison !

Ok really, on with the beer this time which is styled as an american pale ale. Wafts of floral hops, citrus and pine from this when pouring.

Early Bird pours a clear amber copper with a small off-white head. Lots of floral hops, faint caramel malt and citrus on the mildly sweet intake while a medium hop bitterness takes over in the finish. Tangerine and lemon linger in the sweetish very tasty aftertaste. Good light creamy mouthfeel.

An absolute cracking beer and excellent value for money. No problem with drinking another or buying again, which I've done many a time as for as low as 10DKR a can, you cannot go wrong. One gripe, when this first came out a couple of years back it was extremely fresh tasting, nowadays I do not know if they still only brew it once a year like they used to or now changed to all year round but that 'freshness' has gone.

This scored a whopping 8.5/10 on the 'Danish Value For Money' Beerometer.

Alc : 5.5%
Where to buy CPH : Just about any larger supermarket.






No comments:

Post a Comment